You can help the YWCA and the women and families we serve by volunteering your time and participating in worthwhile, challenging work. Volunteer service can be done on an individual basis or as a team through your organization, business, or civic group. Activities are available year-round and can be tailored to fit any commitment level.
Interested in volunteering with the YWCA Memphis in any of the following areas? Contact us and let us know your interests at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 24-hour Crisis Hotline – We need volunteers to help answer the 24-Hour Crisis Hotline. Crisis Hotline volunteers help link domestic violence victims to life-saving information about shelter, legal assistance and other community resources. They offer crisis intervention, assist callers with safety planning and provide support. Shifts are in 3-4 hour increments. You must pass a background check, sign confidentiality agreements and attend training.
- Childcare for support groups. You must pass a background check, sign confidentiality agreements and attend training.
The administrative staff provides support to YWCA programs, committees, and the Board of Directors. Our staff provides instruction for all work and is available for additional questions. Administrative volunteers work during normal office hours. We offer a welcoming and supportive atmosphere to volunteers who wish to utilize their expertise to help with any of the following tasks:
- Document shredding
- Bulk mailings (folding, stuffing, labeling)
- Organization & filing
- Copying & collating documents
There are both outdoor and indoor opportunities to assist our Facilities Manager with maintaining our grounds and facilities. Tasks available include:
- Removal of invasive species of plants and weeds
- Parking lot and playground clean up
- Mowing & raking
- Dusting & sweeping
- Window washing
- Mopping, vacuuming, and scrubbing floors
- Painting the inside of the building
The Board delegates many responsibilities to committees, including the following listed below:
- Community Outreach & Advocacy
- Marketing & Fund Development
- Annual Luncheon Committee
- Purple Purse Committee
Committees generally meet monthly, with specific tasks requiring additional time. On average, committee involvement takes 2-4 hours per month. Committees usually include a mixture of Board Members and community volunteers.
Committee volunteers typically have personal or professional experience related to the responsibilities of the committee, though this is not always required.
The Annual Benefit Luncheon is one of our major fundraising events. Volunteers help with preparing decorations & arrangements, invitations, and other activities as related to event planning. Individuals are also encouraged to be Table Captains. Table Captains commit to filling a table of ten at this fundraiser held each March. This is an opportunity to gather your friends, family, and co-workers for a luncheon to learn how YWCA Greater Memphis helps our community, to network and to become a philanthropist. It is an inspiring and fun event.
The Purple Purse is an annual fundraiser sponsored by Allstate Foundation each October. Volunteers help with marketing and outreach.
To learn more or sign up, please contact Kathy Ivey email@example.com.
Internships are available to enrolled college students seeking hands-on experience in non-profit management and program coordination, grant writing, marketing, communications, or related professional fields.
Credits are available to eligible students.