How do I know if I am in an abusive relationship?
Does My Partner:
- Embarrass me with bad names or put-downs?
- Control what I do, where I go, whom I’m allowed to see, whom I’m allowed to walk with?
- Make all of the decisions, generally without discussion with me?
- Threatens to tell something you don’t want known to your family or at work?
- Keeps control of all of the money – even if you are the one that earns it?
- Tell me that I am a bad parent, a bad partner, and threaten to hurt or take my children away?
- Intimidate me with guns, knives, or other weapons?
- Always seem to know what’s best for me – even if it isn’t?
- Wake me up to fight in the middle of the night, or won’t let me go to sleep?
- Shove, slap, hit, kick me, or pull my hair?
- Threaten to commit suicide?
- Threaten to kill me?
If you answered yes to even one of the above, you may be in an abusive relationship. If you need to talk with someone, please call our 24-hour hotline at (901) 725-4277, the State hotline at 1-800-356-6767, or the National hotline at 1-800-799-7233, or TTY 1-800-787-3224 for the hearing impaired.
YWCA-Abused Women's Services Crisis Hotline: (901) 725-4277